base-config 2.0

I'm finally modifying base-config to use the d-i cdebconf db. I
currently have it inheriting debian-installer/locale, debconf/priority,
mirror/distribution, and mirror/http/proxy from d-i, which has increased
the second stage priority to high by default and thus shown some bugs
in base-config (amoung other packages..?).

I hope to finish this up so it uses the cdebconf db for the rest of the
stuff in installer-integration, and take it further so it uss any
additonal d-i stuff it can to avoid more questions. I still need to work
out how to get the equivlant of dbootstrap_setting's KEYBD and
SERIALCONSOLE from d-i db.

Then, I plan to convert base-config to using something like the d-i main
menu. Except the order of the menu items is not dependency based, and a
package can register more than one menu item. But it will behave the
same with bailing out to the menu if something fails or the user hits
cancel. I think this will address a common complaint I've seen, that
base-config is too hard to navigate; it will also let you skip steps (up
to skipping _all_ steps, which some people like to do), run a shell
before setting the root password, and some other handy stuff.

It would be great if someone else could rip out all of d-i's
framebuffer, bterm, utf-8, font, locale, etc stuff and make base-config
work the same way for version 2.0, but it probably won't be me doing
that.

While CVS remains down, I ponder moving base-config to subversion, and
can make patches or debs available to anyone who's interested. I expect
I'll have base-config 2.0 done within the next week.

--
see shy jo