Installation reporting on HP Proliant ML350 with Smartarray

Some problems in installation:

* d-i does not recognize ethernet (tg3) and controller (cciss for 641 series)
	I loaded by hand modules and proceeded. I could send pci ids
	in a couple of days.

* kernel installation failed
	The problem is that the root /dev/cciss/disc/disc0/part1 path is not
	correctly managed by mkinitrd and it creates a 0byte file.
	The installation succeded by hand using a traditional
	device name -r /dev/cciss/c0d0p1, customizing in chroot /target
	the /etc/mkinitrd/modules to add cciss support, creating
	lilo.conf by hand (with non devfs device names) and running
	lilo.
	Also, manual disk partition failed and presented a
	strange list of choices:

	.
	.
	0
	0
	1
	1
	/
	/
	Finished

	or so.

	I did run autopartion which allowed me to continue with
	base system installation.

Well, installation goes, but it was quite far from being immediate
for a non-experienced user. I found also quite non-obvious the
manual load of additional modules: I used simply modprobe from shell,
(because I knew the module names), but this is probably an
overseeing of mine.

PS: The machine was simply uninstallable wih current woody disks
due to obsolete kernel.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine