Impression about first use of the current sarge-i386 install CD

I'm not subscribed, please CC me.

First the announced network debian-installer CD doesn't boot (see also
"debian-users"), I therefore got the sarge-i386-1 CD which does.

Everything seems to work almost automatically until the "Install lilo on
a hard disk" step. There only a single device path is shown with just a
continue button. (Just cosmetic but can't this device info also include
the disk name as it's done when partitioning?) I decided to empty this
path entirely because I _don't_ want to have my MBR overwritten! After
this it wasn't possible to install further, except maybe restarting
which won't work. CTRL-ALT-DEL to start over.

Second try: I didn't made the ext3 filesystem again (I hoped it would be
faster) but I only got to the same point as before, not able to install
the lilo boot block.

Third try: I did everything anew until "Install lilo on a hard disk". I
choose "continue" since there wasn't any other option (!) and my
precious MBR was overwritten. This is a major bug putting Debian
installation on the same level as the Windows installation :-( . While
lilo can be installed into any boot block all the available disk and
afterwards all available partitions should be shown (just exactly when
partitioning). Luckily I can easily retrieve my MBR because of idiotic
installation systems but not anybody can.

I went on rebooting into Linux and came to point where packages from the
CD should be installed. I only have a CD-Writer which I also use as a
CD-Rom. The debian installer probably discovered this and uses ide-scsi
to access my drive. Unfortunately something went wrong and ide-scsi
complained an unsupported command. So my CD wasn't recognized anymore.
At this point there is no possibility to skip this step I only could
abort. I tried base-install again but could not pass this point.

Why is ide-scsi used for reading ATAPI-CD? This should not be the normal
IDE driver should be used. Ide-scsi is only for writing.

Very annoying is that during the installation the keyboard could be
chosen but later I Linux still uses the US version. The keyboard is the
single most important input device so it has to be correct from the
beginning and may _never_ fall back to the default. That means the base
system as to be configured correct from the start and not when
base-install is run.

Another annoying cosmetic change. During retrieving packages the package
path information uses sometimes 1 sometimes 2 line which produces a
horrible flicker of the window. Can't the minimal size of the install
window made a little bit bigger so all (or most) packages use the same size?

O. Wyss

--
See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/"; for ideas how to design your app