installing with sarge-i386-businesscard.iso

Hi list,
I'm a new subscriber.
Yesterday I downloaded and burned to CD the 50 Meg
sarge-i386-businesscard.iso

I was installing on a new Sony Vaio PCG-Z1V/P (Japanese model)
but hopefully that is irrelevent.

Initially all seemed to be going very well.
A small glitch was that when I chose an english language
there was no prompt to choose japanese keyboard.
But changing that after seems to be no problem.

Unfortunately at the final stage of the install of the base system
I got the error:

debootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

from   /target/var/log/debootstrap.log
I see it dies on :

Setting up base-files (3.0.12)
/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-files.postinst: line 1: awk: command not found

postinstallation script returned with error exit status 127

Is there an easy hack to fix this and keep installing?
Many thanks
Doug