Re: Second stage console problem

At 11 Nov 03 16:37:31 GMT,
Joey Hess wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Another idea was to always run base-config in an UTF-8 terminal, and
> > always install an UTF-8 capable framebuffer terminal.  This way, we
> > use the same system for all languages, and it is less likely that the
> > lesser used configurations contain errors.
>
> I'm personally leaning toward this myself. We can steal the already
> working framebuffer and bogl setup code from rootskel.
>
> It will be a rather rude awakening when the user gets out of base-config
> and into the plain old linux console though. :-/

I tried to use bogl-term console for 2nd stage.

1. bogl-unifont is provided as only udeb, so we must provide deb
   version if we use bogl on 2nd stage,
2. bogl-term checks current LANG. Japanese is ja_JP.eucJP (or
  ja_JP-EUCJP), but box line of dialog is corrupted on this LANG.
  See http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/ja_JP.eucJP_ja_JP.eucJP.png

  After created ja_JP.UTF-8 (dpkg-reconfigure locales or edit
  /etc/locale.gen manually) and started LANG as it, it looks good.
  See http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/ja_JP.UTF-8_ja_JP.UTF-8.png

  I checked only debconf messages. Because UTF-8 support is newly
  technology, some software may be
  corrupted. Kubota-san (kubota@debian.org) and Goto-san
  (gotom@debian.or.jp) are familiar with this problem.
3. As I know, debwrap run only 2nd stage bootup. This means
  multilingual terminal isn't used if user reboot Debian.
  I think it is good way to ask whether user want to use multilingual
  terminal hereafter or not in base-config.

Conclusion:
- We can use bogl-bterm as 2nd console.
- We must provide local and UTF-8 locale (such as ja_JP.eucJP and
  ja_JP.UTF-8), and set UTF-8 locale to default language for 2nd stage
  if we use bogl-bterm.
- UTF-8 locale hasn't been tested well yet, we (mainly non-Latin
  people) must check and check.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto