Re: Priority handling in main-menu

Sebastian Ley wrote:
> in my opinion the priority handling on errors in main-menu needs still
> some work. Presently the logic is simple: Have an initial priority. If a
> menu item fails, lower the priority by one step. If a menu item suceeds,
> pump up the priority by one but not greater than the initial priority.
>
> However consider the following situation (as also percieved in an
> installation-report):
>
> Initial priority is high. A step fails and the priority gets lowered to
> medium, showing the menu. The user chooses that the failing step is not
> relevant or perhaps uses a shell to recover. He then selects the next
> entry. That entry suceeds again, so priority is set to high again. Which
> will bring him back to the step that actaully failed, too bad...
>
> I do not know if we should think of an entire different solution to
> handle that but for now we could add some code to main-menu that assures
> that the priority will not be set >= high until the offending menu point
> actually suceeded.

I would like to see main-menu be smarter about the default item it
picks. If the user skips over an earlier item and manager to successfuly
use a later item in the menu, then the earlier item is not necessary,
and main-menu should avoid making it the default again. This does not
apply if the later item has a menu-item-number in the 900's (shell,
etc).

--
see shy jo