base-config integration, boot-time parameters, and d-i droppings

I am planning to finally integrate base-config properly with d-i. This
will involve copying the d-i debconf database to somewhere in /target,
probably var/cache/debconf/installation/. In my tests it looks like
cdebconf writes the database quite frequently (suprisingly frequently,
really), so getting the full db should not be a problem. Then
base-config will look at some entries in the config and translate them
over to the installed debconf database. It's also possible that I may
decide to just have base-config merge the two databases into one. This
has some advantages, but also problems, especially if there are question
nameing conflicts.

One such possible conflict is with, of all things, debconf/priority.
high is default in d-i, while medium has historically been the default
in debian proper. debconf/frontend is also used by both, but the set of
frontends differs and would at least need to be translated.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to boot d-i and on the boot line,
tell it to use the text frontend, and low priority (power user settings
(or is that critical? :-)) and have that carry through right into the
installed system..

Which brings me to boot-time parameters. We have a few, but I think they
ought to be rethought. It would be neat if they could be used to
override any value in the debconf database, not only the ones it has
special environment variables for. So you could boot with
debconf/priority=low, or with debconf/language=foo or maybe
mirror/distribution=sid. These actually will show up as environment
variables, though the shell cannot access them very easily because of
the slash, all it needs is a little program to translate these into the
cdebconf database and mark them as seen. There are also a few boot
parameters (that I added) that have no corresponding question in the
cdebconf database, and I should probably try to fix that. The cdebconf
datbase then becomes a fairly self-documenting means of overriding lots
of the installer's behavior. Of course overriding it at the boot prompt
doesn't meet the needs of large installations that need to pre-seed the
whole database, but it's a start.

Finally, my more oddball idea. d-i drops a few files into various places
in /target, and there is no easy way to know you've found them all and
cleaned them all out of your installed system. Since we're already much
better in this regard than the boot-floppies with their unpackged
kernel, I think we could take it a step further, and make sure
everything is in a package of a sort. This "package" could be assembeled
on the fly somehow toward the end of the installation (or it could be a
regular package that is installed as usual but then it cannot own some
files as easily), and when purged would delete the log files, clean out
the copy of the d-i database (or if base-config merges the two
databases, purge the d-i parts from the main database), and so on.

--
see shy jo