[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: beta release and freeze plans

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:37:54AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > I object.
> > 
> > It is ok for me to wait until monday for the new powerpc packages to be
> > added, and the kernel-di stuff to be adapted to them, but i will sure as
> > hell not wait 1 month for that.
> Read it again, nothing in there says you cannot rev the kernel.

Ok, then it is fine with me.

> > Also, i don't particularly care about how this freeze did happen (of the
> > kind we will freeze two days from now, don't care if half the stuff is
> > broken, etc ...). This is no way to threat the other debian-installer
> > developer, setting freezes on a whim without proper notice.
> > 
> > Also don't use the excuse that you were speaking about a freeze since a
> > long time, i have repeteadly listed my plans for the powerpc packages
> > here since Oldenbourg, and even told you as you were polishing the build
> > script for powerpc last week.
> Yes, you've been talking about it forever, with no apparent forward
> progress to speak of. Therefore I ignored it.

And my regular posts for people to test them don't count ? My quest to
understand how the different kind of powerpc hardware work and boot ?
Not to speak that i lost more than a week of work because debian-installer
ate my harddisk, and the fact that i need 5 hours and more to compile
it and more than one hour to upload it. Also, i have been working With
Chris, Gaudenz and Thorsten to get a kernel ready which will work with
miboot and floppies on old-world pmacs. And i _TOLD_ you about this last
week on irc, so why couldn't you tell me about your freeze schedules
back then ? I would have uploaded earlier if i had known, or tried to
squeeze more time out of my already tight schedule.

I didn't upload earlier because i was plagged by a bug which stopped me
from installing the kernels on my system, related to dpkg not being able
to handle the 30 char filename limit of my amigaos boot partitions,
which i took a long time to find. A lot of 5 hours builds happened in
that bug hunt.

But still, declaring a freeze out of the blue without proper advance
warning to the debian-boot mailing list is not a way to handle, and it
will only make for delays of the final release. And are you sure the
current state of the frozen d-i is even able to handle all the arches
and subarches debian sarge is supposed to support ? I seriously doubt it
for the powerpc subarches, as seen with what happened to my harddisk,
but what about the 5 or so officially supported architectures d-i wasn't
even tried on ?


Sven Luther

Reply to: