Re: Debconf Templates Style Guide

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:43:09PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> Scripsit Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
>
> > Of course it would, and I would never recommend doing so.
>
> So instead you're recommending an approach that forces the user to
> choose *before* reconfiguring between
>  a) not being told what the maintainer thought was a sensible default
>  b) not being told how he has currently configured the package
>
> I don't see why that would help anyone.

You aren't making sense.  You said that the problem was that the user wanted
the safe defaults and couldn't tell what they were.  I provided an idea for
a solution, which was to give the user an option to forget their current
configuration and confirm the safe defaults.  Now you're complaining that
the user has too much choice.

> Which is not terribly helpful to a user who wants to make an informed
> choice *between* the safe default and his own prior customizations.

Writing a paragraph of text attempting to tell the user what the safe
default is, without making reference to any UI-specific widgets, is a waste
of time and space.  Changing the debconf interface for the purpose of
creating a horrific UI which attempts to present the user with three sets of
options for each possible question would be equally silly.

--
 - mdz