Re: GRUB floppy scripts

Dan Weber <dan@mirrorlynx.com> writes:

> A few days ago I realized that you could not make a boot disk with a
> debian kernel because of the large initrd.  Well I have a solution
> to that if you use grub.  Basically it makes grub floppy with a menu
> that will be installed on to a disk.  Using update-grub or something
> to generate the main menu.lst that is all that is necessary, note
> that the location of stage1 and stage2 are often in /boot/grub.
> That is what I used in the script, however if they decide to boot
> only from this disk, the stages will have to be copied from
> /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2 and /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage1.  I
> will soon incorporate those changes into my script.  However this
> provides a much more general solution to the issue.  It obviously
> does not carry the kernel, but it will read it from hard drive
> instead.  It doesn't really help if you have hard drive failure.
> That is also a known concept of grub.
>
> Dan Weber

We already build a bootfloppy with syslinux, kernel and a minimal
initrd for the debian-installer and there is still space left on that
one. By using reduced libraries and the busybox-cvs-floppy udeb you
get a much smaller initrd than you probably have now. The mkinitrd
tools should do the same to get a smaller initrd if that realy is a
problem.

MfG
        Goswin