Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > How about the following release names:
> >
> > floppy/bootfloppy.img
> > floppy/rootfloppy.img
> > floppy/drivers_net.img
> > floppy/drivers_cd.img
>
> These are all perfect IMHO.
>
> > network/linux-<flavour>       (amiga, atari, ...)
> > network/initrd-<flavour>.gz
> > hd-media/linux-<flavour>
> > hd-media/initrd-<flavout>.gz
>
> For hd-media, the bootfloppy currently looks for a file named initrd.gz
> on the disk, so it would be useful if it had that name. Of course I
> could hardcode the flavor in, or look for initrd*. It's not clear to me
> what the flavour would be for i386.

Its more a <model> than <flavour>. They are incompatible in the way
that they contain specific support and modules for that arch.

A Atari or Mac kernel might not even get its first boot message out
before some Amiga hardware does something unexpected and stops the
kernel.

network/amiga/linux network/amiga/initrd.gz

That better?

i386 wouldn't need it but powerpc and alpha need it too.

> I'd still prefer a better name than "hd-media", but nobody has come up
> with one yet.
>
> > cdrom/cdromboot.iso           (bad name. Its a cdrom for when netboot
> >                                doesn't work)
>
> network/bootcdrom.iso?
>
> > cdrom/netinstall.iso          (12MB with udebs)
> > cdrom/businesscard.iso        (50MB with udebs and base)
> > kernel/linux-<flavour>        (to be linked into net and hd)
>
> Seems ok, no strong preferences.
>
> > initrd/initrd-<flavour>.gz
>
> Not clear what this last initrd is for.

Same as kernel, to be linked into net and hd where they are the same.

> > > - build/tmp/
> > >
> > >   After a "make TYPE=floppy", I have directories like
> > >   tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot, but the actual tree has apparently been
> > >   removed from these directories after the initrd was made. Those trees
> > >   are very useful for debugging and should be retained until make clean.
> >
> > root@dual:/d-i/build# du -h --max-depth 1 tmp
> > 4.8M    tmp/tree-initrd-boot
> > 2.3M    tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot
> >
> > root@dual:/d-i/build# ls tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot
> > initrd.gz  linux  syslinux.cfg
> >
> > Works here.
>
> Right, I have those directories, but they only have initrd, linux, etc
> in them. No unpacked initrd build tree.

Tree-medium contains the contents of the actual medium. Tree-initrd is
what you want.

> > > - TYPE=hd-media does not work.
> >
> > Will fix.
> >
> > Do we actually want to keep using TYPE=xxx? Do we want or need
> > config/TYPE/?
>
> I like the fact that you have them for bacwards compatability for now.
> In the absense of type, we have to use make dest/foo, right? Depends on
> the layout of dest and whether eg, make dest/floppy will work to build
> all floppy images, I suppose.

That should be easy to arange.

MfG
        Goswin