Re: review of mrvn build tree, part 1

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Do you mean this part?

> echo -n > $APTDIR/state/status
> for i in $LIBC_NAME libnewt0.51 libdebconfclient0 libdebian-installer4 \
>          libdb1-compat libpopt0 slang1a-utf8 libuuid1 libparted1.6-0; do
>   dpkg -s $i >> $APTDIR/state/status
> done
>
> Somehow that was neccessary to get apt to download debs or so I
> thought. I just commented that out and did a fresh build without
> error.

Yeah, that was it.

> >   Though there are now two sources.lists (.deb, .udeb),
> >   sources.list.local is still used as the sole override for both. I
> >   don't see how that can possibly work.
>
> You put a source for main and main/debian-installer in .local and it
> finds everything.
>
> root@dual:/d-i/build# cat sources.list.local
> deb ftp://dual/debian sid main
> deb ftp://dual/debian-installer sid main/debian-installer
>
> The split between .deb and .udeb is just for you so you don't have to
> download the main/binary-arch/Packages file over modem to build
> floppies. Your request made the split neccessary. I can split the
> .local file too if you like.

Ah, I see. Ok, I didn't realize that would work.

> How about the following release names:
>
> floppy/bootfloppy.img
> floppy/rootfloppy.img
> floppy/drivers_net.img
> floppy/drivers_cd.img

These are all perfect IMHO.

> network/linux-<flavour>       (amiga, atari, ...)
> network/initrd-<flavour>.gz
> hd-media/linux-<flavour>
> hd-media/initrd-<flavout>.gz

For hd-media, the bootfloppy currently looks for a file named initrd.gz
on the disk, so it would be useful if it had that name. Of course I
could hardcode the flavor in, or look for initrd*. It's not clear to me
what the flavour would be for i386.

I'd still prefer a better name than "hd-media", but nobody has come up
with one yet.

> cdrom/cdromboot.iso           (bad name. Its a cdrom for when netboot
>                                doesn't work)

network/bootcdrom.iso?

> cdrom/netinstall.iso          (12MB with udebs)
> cdrom/businesscard.iso        (50MB with udebs and base)
> kernel/linux-<flavour>        (to be linked into net and hd)

Seems ok, no strong preferences.

> initrd/initrd-<flavour>.gz

Not clear what this last initrd is for.

> > - build/tmp/
> >
> >   After a "make TYPE=floppy", I have directories like
> >   tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot, but the actual tree has apparently been
> >   removed from these directories after the initrd was made. Those trees
> >   are very useful for debugging and should be retained until make clean.
>
> root@dual:/d-i/build# du -h --max-depth 1 tmp
> 4.8M    tmp/tree-initrd-boot
> 2.3M    tmp/tree-cdrom-boot-none-none
> 2.3M    tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot
> 4.8M    tmp/tree-initrd-udeb
> 12M     tmp/tree-cdrom-udeb-all-none
> 2.3M    tmp/tree-floppy-boot-udeb
> 4.8M    tmp/tree-initrd-base
> 52M     tmp/tree-cdrom-base-all-base
> 2.3M    tmp/tree-floppy-boot-base
> 4.4M    tmp/tree-initrd-netboot
> 5.2M    tmp/tree-initrd-demo
> 6.9M    tmp/tree-initrd-hd_media
> 1.1M    tmp/tree-floppy-data-drivers_cd
> 1.2M    tmp/tree-floppy-data-drivers_net
> 1.6M    tmp/tree-initrd-bootfloppy
> 1.4M    tmp/tree-floppy-boot-bootfloppy
> 4.2M    tmp/tree-initrd-root
> 1.4M    tmp/tree-floppy-root-root
>
> root@dual:/d-i/build# ls tmp/tree-floppy-boot-boot
> initrd.gz  linux  syslinux.cfg
>
> Works here.

Right, I have those directories, but they only have initrd, linux, etc
in them. No unpacked initrd build tree.

> > - arch/linux-m68k contains the comment "Still using the old -udeb.udebs
> >   for now", but the next line uses the -di version.
>
> 2 out of 3 archs are. :)
>
> Worked on making -di work for m68k flavours? I had to link
> 2.4.20-amiga -> 2.4.20 for the amiga -di.udebs as I told you on irc.

AFAIK all that should be resolved in CVS, unless you've looked at it in
the past 16 hours +-. I have amiga udebs building, they look fine.

> > - arch/linux has the commented out INITRD_FS=ext2 which I removed from
> >   build/ last week. Probably symptomatic of an incomplete merge to
> >   trunk.
> >
> > - arch/linux-alpha is missing the "Still using the old -udeb.udeb's, for
> >   now.." comment that I added last week.
>
> Awaiting your -di alpha udebs :)

They got out of NEW yesterday, I have no way to test them of course.

> > - The README refers to "make listtypes", but that target does not exist.
> >
> > - The README refers to "make sources.list", when that has been renamed
> >   to "sources.list.udeb". However, I think this step should be removed
> >   from the makefile entirely, as it happens automatically now.
> >
> > - The README goes on to refer to sources.list some more, and
> >   sources.list.local.
>
> README is from HEAD.

Ok, it still needs to be updated.

> > - pcmcia-cs-udeb needs to be moved to net_drivers (more missing merging
> >   from HEAD).
>
> I copied the HEAD pkg-lists to net_drivers. Must have been changed
> after I updated.

That change was made 2 days ago yes, right after your good merging work.

> > - TYPE=hd-media does not work.
>
> Will fix.
>
> Do we actually want to keep using TYPE=xxx? Do we want or need
> config/TYPE/?

I like the fact that you have them for bacwards compatability for now.
In the absense of type, we have to use make dest/foo, right? Depends on
the layout of dest and whether eg, make dest/floppy will work to build
all floppy images, I suppose.

> I was thinking of making a list:
>
> #filename                       arch            type    target
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------
> dest/floppy/bootfloppy.img      i386,alpha      floppy  tmp/floppy-boot-bootfloppy.img
> dest/cdrom/businesscard.iso     all             cdrom   tmp/cdrom-base-all-base.img
>
> If TYPE= is given the list would be filtered for the type.
> If no line with the right arch or all remains the makefile refuses to
> build that TYPE.
>
> If no or TYPE=all is given all targets for that arch are build.

Yeah, that has advantages over makefile fragments in config/type. It's
also less extensible of course.

I would like an easy way to build all of dest except for the cd images
that contain debs, FWIW.

> >   taken sanely indented code[1] that I wrote for d-i, and wrecked the
> >   indentation with their own idea of what's "right". You're welcome to
> >   use any indentation you like in your own code, but I consider
> >   reindenting someone else's code behind their back to be quite rude,
> >   especially if they're still actively maintaining it. Frankly, this
> >   reindentation nonsense has been one of the more annoying things for me
> >   as I have came back to working on d-i, and while it was excusable to
> >   eg, reindent main-menu and anna when I was not working on them
> >   anymore, that excuse does not apply here. Revert pls.
>
> Aehm, reindenting to Makefile syntax? You want a "1 tab per indent"
> indentation?

I wasn't ranting about the removal of the mandatory makefile tabs, but
all the tabs to the right of them. Anyhow. Just a rant.

--
see shy jo