Re: PowerPC CHRP network install

Am Die, den 21.10.2003 schrieb Rolf Brudeseth um 22:08:

> I downloaded the debian-installer via cvs and read the documentation. It
> appears to indicate that there are two supported netinst methods; however,
> both require a CD?
No, you dont' need to burn the image on a CD.

> On a PowerPC CHRP system, with the boot-floppies installer, I was able to
> boot the zImage through BOOTP and load the initrd with NFS, and boot and
> load the zImage.initrd via BOOTP only.
I don't know if anyone tried NFS installs, but they should work in
theory. zImage.initrd or zImage plus a separate initrd (if this is
possible on your arch) over bootp/dhcp/tftp/whatsoever works.

> I then installed the base OS through FTP/HTTP? I assume/hope that this
> function is still available with the debian-installer?
To be able to do that you have to build TYPE=netboot

> Not having to rely upon a CD makes kernel and installer testing much easier
> logistically. This will be even more useful if/when the zImage.initrd can
> be loaded from a USB memory stick.
USB is on the way. Ask Joey Hess about it.

You can download daily built initrds from
http://people.debian.org/~tsauter/d-i/images-powerpc/ (yes it works
again)
There's apparently no kernel there :-(, but they are built for the
latest 2.4.22 kernel in the archive (kernel versions are important
because otherwise you will have a version clash with the modules on the
initrd).
Thorsten: IMHO it would by wise to add the kernel to your daily build
directory.

gaudenz