Re: Proposed patch: ppcdetect -> archdetect

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:52:06AM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> Why is the zImage called vmlinuz (see above). Surely this must confuse more
> people than just me. Above you say you provide it and below you do not.

Tradition.

Originally the UNIX kernel images was called `unix'.
When UNIX got virtual memory support, it became `vmunix'.

Similarly, the Linux image was called `vmlinux', and when it got compression
support (either implicit or explicit), people use `vmlinuz'.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds