Re: Proposed patch: ppcdetect -> archdetect

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:15:09PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:52:06AM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> > >

> > > Sven,
> > >
> > > I would like to test the chrp-rs6k image and use it in conjunction with
>
> > di;
> > > however, I need zImage (or zImage.inetd) for network install, and the
> > > vmlinux image.
> > >
> > > It is not clear to me what these .deb and .udeb files are. A readme
> file
> > > would help.
> >
> > Install the kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-rs6k package, and you
> > should get the zImage.chrp-rs6k which is called
> > /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc.
> >

> But I can not install a package if I have not yet installed the OS. In
> order to install the OS I need the zImage.

you can get them directly with either ar + tar, or dpkg-deb.

> Can you not just make it available for download?

Yes, i can.

> Why is the zImage called vmlinuz (see above). Surely this must confuse more

Because it has always been so for debian packages. And is what
kernel-pckage produces. If you don't like it, fill a bug report against
kernel-package, but i doubt Manoj will appreciate.

> people than just me. Above you say you provide it and below you do not.
> I contributed slightly to the confusion by initially calling vmlinuz,
> vmlinux (see below).

well, when i create the debian package, i just do a :

cp arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.chrp-rs6k to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc.

> > I don't know about zImage.inetd, but i suppose the above should do, is
> > zImage.inetd a special zImage you build with the zImage.inetd target in
> > the toplevel kernel makefile ?
> >
> > I also don't provide the vmlinux image for chrp-rs6k, since i think that
> > you don't need it, the zImage/chrp-rs6k should be enough, but please
> > enlighten me about the usage you want to make of it, and i will
> > reconsider.
>
> I should not need this if it is supplied during the install process.

Ok. So you only need the vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc. I will unpack it for
you.

Friendly,

Sven Luther