Re: dependency checking in copy-modules (linux-kernel-di)

Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> I'm trying to make linux-kernel-di usable for arch!=i386.
>
> I first tried to understand the dependency checking code in
> copy-modules, but it probably needs a degree in rocket-science to
> understand that completely. But as far as I understood it, dependencies
> are only checked based on module-deps which declares dependencies
> between module-udebs. I didn't see any code that checks the actual
> dependencies between the kernel-modules. So I asked myself why all this
> dependency checking code is needed. Isn't it enough to declare these
> dependency information in debian/control?

Yes, moving all the information to one place is on my list of things to
do, after letting it optionally build against an uninstalled kernel deb
and getting it working with dpkg-cross. I think I've figured out most of
what I want to do to make it support alpha, after I sit down and do the
work for that, adding new arches should be relatively easy.

> The actual problem was, that i wanted to find out, if we need a
> module-deps for every arch or not. Probably we will need it, because
> dependencies can be different on different archs. Then I wonderd why the
> order of the lines in module-deps is important (because i wanted to
> simply concatenate the general module-deps and the arch-specific
> module-deps)?

Not only will the udebs produced and the dependencies vary across
architectures, but some of the module lists will too. The order is
important because tsort only works on sorted lists.

--
see shy jo