Re: dependency checking in copy-modules (linux-kernel-di)

Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch> wrote:

> dependencies between the kernel-modules. So I asked myself why all this
> dependency checking code is needed. Isn't it enough to declare these
> dependency information in debian/control?

The only reason for module-deps to exist is because I was lazy.
It could easily deduce that information from debian/control.
In fact, what it really should do is produce the information
for debian/control.

> dependencies can be different on different archs. Then I wonderd why the
> order of the lines in module-deps is important (because i wanted to
> simply concatenate the general module-deps and the arch-specific
> module-deps)?

The order is important because copy-modules doesn't sort the file
before using it.  Just add a sort and you can have it in any order
you like.

> Can you (or someone else) please line out the advantages of this
> dependency checking and how it works and how it can be ported to
> non-i386?

The dependency checking is meant to prevent shipping modules which
can't be loaded because of a missing dependency.

Cheers,