Re: cvs commit to debian-installer/utils/debian by andrelop

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:58:28PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Andre Luis Lopes (andrelop@debian.org):
>
> > Also, does it suffice to only use the command "file somechangelogfile"
> > in order to check if the changelog is really in UTF-8 or should I be
> > doing something else ?
>
> Maybe you could just type your changelogs as before, with ISO-8859-1
> encoding and then "iconv --to utf-8" these files. "man iconv" for details.

I thought about using it but I'm concerned about which kind of beast I
would end up when re-converting a changelog to UTF-8. If a changelog is
already in UTF-8 and I use a ISO-8859-1 locale *and* a ISO-8859-1 editor
to edit it and then convert it back again to UTF-8, what would happen to
the text which was already written in UTF-8 ? Would it be preserved as
valid UTF-8 or would it be re-converted again ?

I'm concerned my text written using ISO-8859-1 locale would end up being
converted in UTF-8 (which is fine) but all the rest, which were already
written in UTF-8, would be highly damaged and it would no more be valid
UTF-8.

Hmm, iconv does accept a -f option where one could give it a clue about
the encoding the file being converted is currently using. This made me
think that maybe iconv would not be able to handle converting changelogs
written in two distinct locales (ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8) to UTF-8. Does
someone know if this is the case ?

> Another possibility is a general switch to UTF-8...Be prepared to
> fight hard with lots of tools and send hieroglyphs to local mailing
> lists for a while.. :-)

I have already tried to do this previosly but I came to the conclusion
that I was having much more problems comunicating with everyone else
which were not using UTF-8 than I would like to have. Maybe switching
completely to UTF-8 would be an option in the future, but not now.

--
||  André Luís Lopes                 andrelop@debian.org                ||