Re: cvs commit to debian-installer/utils/debian by andrelop

Hi,

> For the love of a higher deity, André, how many times do we have to tell
> you that the changelogs are in *UTF-8* format! Do you even read your
> mail?

Sure, I'm reading my mail. Sorry for not replying before. Please forgive
my previous wrong commits, right now I'm trying to figure out how to
write in UTF-8 while using a non-UTF-8 locale (ISO-8859-1).

> If you cannot write your name in UTF-8, I don't want you to commit to
> the d-i cvs at all. Get someone to help you, or a proper editor, but DO
> NOT, I repeat DO NOT, commit broken changelogs!

OK, as I said, I'm trying to figure out how to write properly in UTF-8
and I won't commit changelogs until I can understand the whole thing.

BTW, I have tried to use GNOME's 2.2 Terminal (gnome-terminal) and to
switch between my default locale (ISO-8859-1) and UTF-8. Well, at least
there's a menu option in gnome-terminal which says it can swithc between
ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8. When I switched to UTF-8 using this option I could
read the changelogs encoded in UTF-8 properly so I thought I could also
just type text in the changelogs while in gnome-terminal's UTF-8 mode.

If I understood it correctly, I should also be using and editor which
does support UTF-8. I was using only "vim" in gnome-terminal's UTF-8
locale mode. Could someone please give me a hint regarding an editor
which does support displaying *and* writing correctly in UTF-8 ?

Also, does it suffice to only use the command "file somechangelogfile"
in order to check if the changelog is really in UTF-8 or should I be
doing something else ?

--
||  André Luís Lopes                 andrelop@debian.org                ||