Re: busybox vs busybox-cvs?

Chris Tillman wrote:
> Joey has been helping intensively for the last few weeks, (thanks!)
> while Bastian has been helping actively for the past several months
> (thanks, too!). I thought it was probably a little off the mark to lob
> "quit checking in broken code" out there. Which of us has never made a
> mistake?

I'm not opposed to mistakes. I am opposed to checking in obiously broken
code[1], not doing the work to get that code working, breaking other
tested working code in the process[2], not documenting it[3], and
leaving it lying around for others to stumble over. I don't check in
code to d-i these days until I have seen it run.

> Also, Joey wasn't here for the thorough bloat removal that Bastian
> just did with libd-i. So his remarks about bloat, coupled with the
> inference that it's somehow Bastian's intention to have bloated code
> (and hey! we're talking about ONE k, folks!) just rubbed Bastian the
> wrong way.

Please understand, I'm sure I can find significantly more single k like
that one, because I feel the design of that part of the code is
fundamently broken, and will encourage bloat now and in the future.

> Why am I writing this? Because I've heard enough from Bastian to know
> that he knows very little English, and for that reason if no other, I
> think it's not fair to browbeat him on the list. Just stick to what's
> wrong with the code, not what's wrong with the coder.

I gained a new appreciation for how hard it is to talk about technical
matters in a language that is not your own this winter when I worked in
a small village in Houduras this winter. My Spanish is dreadful, and I
sometimes spent hours trying to figure out how to explain a simple
concept. I completly empathise with language problems.

--
see shy jo

[1] utils/udpkg.c, now removed, which was built, linked, but not
    referenced by the rest of the program it was in
[2] the shell menu item
[3] the changelogs and cvs messages speak for themselves -- and yes, I'd
    rather have them in German if that made them more expressive!