Re: USB support

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:59:36AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Most usb floppy disks have support for a legacy mode, in which the USB
> > > and the floppy disk together emulate a 'normal' floppy disk. That
> > > doesn't mean a usb floppy disk isn't a USB mass storage device; at the
> > > very least, it's supported by the usb-storage module under Linux.
> > >

> > How does that mode work then ?
>
> Dunno. I've had a laptop which came with a USB floppy drive and such
> support; it worked for the floppy drive, but not for a different USB
> mass storage device I borrowed from someone. Not sure what the details
> are.

USB floppies can use CBI mode:
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_msc_overview_1.2.pdf

I'd guess that some firmware supports booting w/ CBI, others support
booting with mass storage, and most USB floppies can support both modes
(and isn't mutually exclusive, as I said in my original reply).