Re: poewerpc kernel 2.4.22-2 ...

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:00:20PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > I would like people to test the new packages i have made available at :
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.4.22
>
> [...]
>
> > Once i get a positive feedback for these, and once auric is up again, i
> > will upload those to the new queue, and the only thing remaining would
> > be :
> >
> >   1) Reduce the size of the powerpc kernel to fit on a floppy with miboot.
>
> That would require the instaler to offer to select among the subarch kernels,
> when it comes to installing something on the hard-disk.

Nope, debian-installer should detect the correct subarch, thanks to the
work of Gaudenz on arch-detect, if i am not wrong.

> The current situation, where some generic all-emcompassing but cripled kernel
> gets installed by default (and adding insult to injury, installed outside the
> packaging system!), instead of allowing the user to select by subarch exactly
> which variant gets installed, is a really silly oversight.

Ye.

> Right now, Woody offers a generic 2.4.18-bf2.4 that is magically supposed to be
> a one-size fits all, but it is NOT.  For Sarge, I would really hope that while a
> generic might be used to support the installer launching, what really gets
> installed is a suitable kernel, optimized for the subarch we are about to
> install Debian on.

debian-installer will not use the initial kernel, but will install a
kernel from the kernel-images.

> Sven's above 5 powerpc subrach variants are a great move, but to really be
> usefull, one should be capable of selecting among them during Sarge installation
> to actually get a subarch-optimized kernel right on their system from the start.

Well, right now, these subarch kernels are built from the same config,
just they use the subarch specific booting (don't know the exact name of
it though, so let's say booting) stuff. This is easier for me, since
each config build takes 1h20 or so to build on my box. Also, the idea is
to make more of the stuff modular, and maybe use a initrd to boot it
like is done on powerpc, so this selfsame kernel can be used on the
miboot floppies too.

BTW, the smp kernel is too big for quik already, so whatever we do, we
need to make it smaller anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther