Re: Install report

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:46:54PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > > Progress bar does not move when downloading packages file.  Again my screen
> > > goes blank, on tty2 I can see that debootstrap is running though so I wait
> > > ... eventually a progress bar does reappear.  Package retrieval froze at
> > > mawk, no progress seemed to be happening, I killed a few wget and debootstrap
> > > processes until I got back to the main menu and then restarted base system
> > > install.  Second try got past mawk without incident, odd but didn't feel like
> > > debugging that one too much.  Packages installed, didn't have much trouble
> > > then until the bootloader.
> >
> > Hmm, what kind of network uplink do you have? Packages file should
> > download quite quickly, and it's hard to segment it to give progress. I
> > am on dialup and it still downloads quickly. The hang you experienced
> > also rather points to a network problem.
>
> Debootstrap fetches the Release file and Packages file and then hangs
> while probably verifying and parsing the file.

Yes, this part has always been slow, since debootstrap was invented.
It is running the 'pkgdetails' script for each package in Packages. I
looked once to see if some progress could be implemented, but it's
subsidiary to debootstrap itself so I couldn't figure it out.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People