Re: Install report

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > When "detecting network hardware and installing modules for it" I do not
> > consistently get warned that not all the modules are available.  For example
> > my machine had a pcnet32 card and an 8139too, it loads the 8139too but
> > doesn't warn that the pcnet32 is unavailable.  I did see the warning on one
> > of many runs through, just do not get the warnings consistently.
>
> I'd appreciate more information about this. Either discover is not
> always noticing your pcnet32, or there is a logic error causing it to
> fail to display a note when it does find the card. Given the
> intermittancy, I'd bet on discover. Note that the pcnet32 is not
> supported by the 2 floppy set, you have to load the net drivers floppy
> to get its driver.

Could we change this please. pcnet32 is what vmware has so its quite
popular among i386 testers.

> > Progress bar does not move when downloading packages file.  Again my screen
> > goes blank, on tty2 I can see that debootstrap is running though so I wait
> > ... eventually a progress bar does reappear.  Package retrieval froze at
> > mawk, no progress seemed to be happening, I killed a few wget and debootstrap
> > processes until I got back to the main menu and then restarted base system
> > install.  Second try got past mawk without incident, odd but didn't feel like
> > debugging that one too much.  Packages installed, didn't have much trouble
> > then until the bootloader.
>
> Hmm, what kind of network uplink do you have? Packages file should
> download quite quickly, and it's hard to segment it to give progress. I
> am on dialup and it still downloads quickly. The hang you experienced
> also rather points to a network problem.

Debootstrap fetches the Release file and Packages file and then hangs
while probably verifying and parsing the file.

If something fails at that stage you get an error telling you to check
the logs, which are both empty at that point. And why do we have an
error log if errors go to the normal one?

> Thanks for your report, it was very useful, and great to hear that the
> two floppy install actually works for someone again!

Now I have to figure out how to build them with my makefile. :)
Good to know that any brokenness is then my fault.

MfG
        Goswin