Guide for Oldworld Powermac d-i test using BootX and netinst CD

I tested d-i using BootX.

1) Burn a CD from

http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/powerpc/

(I used the sarge-powerpc-netinst iso).

2) Boot into MacOS, insert the CD, and copy linux.bin and root.bin
from /install/powermac/ to your Linux Kernels folder in the System Folder.
Of course, if you already have files there, you might want to rename
these.

3) Start BootX. Set the Options to use a root disk, and Browse to the
root.bin you just copied in. Make sure the no-video-driver box is
_not_ checked (at least on my box). Add the boot argument:

init=/linuxrc

4) Save preferences, if you want, and push the Linux button.

5) When the machine reboots, it ejects the CD. The next screen you see
after the boot arguments is the Language Chooser; before choosing a
language, re-insert the CD. This will let the CD detection code detect
it automatically. If you don't insert it now, you will get an
opportunity later when it can't find a CD.

6) Test installer! The incarnation I used couldn't install the kernel
and modules because of the missing ppcdetect. I got around this in
console 2 by copying the kernel from /cdrom/install/powermac to
/target/boot. If I knew more about udpkg, I could probably install
modules also :) ... as it was, I just

cp -R /lib/modules /target/lib/modules

Ah, the joys of busybox with autocompletion, history, and cp -R !!

7) Use reboot in console 2 to quit the installer.

8) There is no quik-installer yet, but you can boot your installed
system by using BootX again. Un-check the root disk option, remove
init=/linuxrc, and type in the designation of your root partition such
as hda6 in the space provided. I actually got it booted; my bogus
modules didn't load, no automatic base-config yet; but we're getting
there!

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People