Re: installation report - major breakage

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Yes, this is bug #215403 (debconf_capb definition broken) crashing
> main-menu.  We discovered it last evening, but it was too late to fix
> it for yesterdays archive update.

I'm beginning to think that we should have a d-i upload bounce queue.
This would accept uploads for d-i and put them into an archive
immediatly, with no checking, and could optionally send the upload on to
the real archive for eventual processing. It's bad to have the whole
project essentially stalled for 24 hours waiting on propigation to
mirrors because something got broke. Worse to stall for 1 week waiting
for NEW udebs (wave), but I kinda hope the ftp masters might start
prioritizing d-i NEW items ahead of NEW icq clients, etc.

> I got around that using Ctrl-S in tty1 first, to stop the looping.

Why didn't I think of that? :-/

> Anyone know why is the debconf_* macros are macros?  If they were
> library functions, it would have been sufficient to upload a new
> cdebconf.  They are not, so we need to rebuild.  Would it be smarter
> to convert them to real functions instead?

Probably out of some desire to save space, but I don't really remember.

--
see shy jo