Re: Big netinst/businesscard images

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:41:08PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>> - Why is the entire Debian keyring (6MB) on the CD?
> Probably to support checking signatures of Release files.

Do we use that at all? :-)

>> - Why are the net_drivers, cd_drivers and other floppies (at least 7-8MB) in
>>   /install? They do not seem to be used in the installation.
> Probably so if you have a CD drive that cannot boot, you can copy these
> to floppies and use them to let d-i get at your CDROM.

That would be quite useless for 95% of the users. I don't think a "minimal
network install" ISO should care for that. :-)

>> - Why are there two different kernel udebs (2.4.20 and 2.4.22)? (Several more
>>   megabytes.) Really, what do you need the kernel-iamge udebs for at all?
> We need at least one to install onto the base system.

Well, we do not need more that one, and the businesscard ISO will have to
fetch a lot of stuff from the net anyhow, so we gain very little by putting
this on the CD.

>> - What do we need the entire Contents-i386.gz (6MB) from sarge for?
> From sarge?

There is a "sarge/Contents-i386.gz" on the CD that is 6MB. Being so big, I'd
suppose it contains information about _all_ sarge packages, not only those on
the CD. I don't see what we need it for.

>> The woody netinst images are ~10MB. I think we should be easily able to trim
>> 30MB off the current business card ISOs, and we definitely should do so :-)
> Maybe you're looking for something more like the cd_image target in
> debian-installer/build/? IIRC it's < 10 mb.

Well, if it's installable, why don't we distribute that? We're pointing
people to "use these images for sarge network install if you want to test",
and I don't see why they should be any bigger than needed.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/