Re: Big netinst/businesscard images

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> The businesscard .iso is now about ~60MB, which probably won't even fit on
> most "businesscard"-sized CDs. Could somebody please answer:

I can only hazard guesses, surely debian-cd would have better answers.

> - Why is the entire Debian keyring (6MB) on the CD?

Probably to support checking signatures of Release files.

> - Why are the net_drivers, cd_drivers and other floppies (at least 7-8MB) in
>   /install? They do not seem to be used in the installation.

Probably so if you have a CD drive that cannot boot, you can copy these
to floppies and use them to let d-i get at your CDROM.

> - Why are there two different kernel udebs (2.4.20 and 2.4.22)? (Several more
>   megabytes.) Really, what do you need the kernel-iamge udebs for at all?

We need at least one to install onto the base system.

> - What do we need the entire Contents-i386.gz (6MB) from sarge for?

From sarge?

> The woody netinst images are ~10MB. I think we should be easily able to trim
> 30MB off the current business card ISOs, and we definitely should do so :-)

Maybe you're looking for something more like the cd_image target in
debian-installer/build/? IIRC it's < 10 mb.

--
see shy jo