Re: di & IBM CHRP

* Rolf Brudeseth <rolfb@us.ibm.com> [2003-10-09 21:32]:
| > Having the installer root on NFS should be possible in theory. AFAIK no
| > one has tested it yet. So you may be better off using a normal initrd.
| > Is it possible to load an initrd with your bootloader or do have to
| > compile the initrd into the kernel?
|
| I tested it over 6 months ago on a 44P-170 POWER3 box. Launching di via NFS
| worked fine. However, the particular di I was testing only supported the
| CD-ROM install; thus, I did not get any further.

hmm. the 44P with a Regata-Board? I'm not sure, but I think you need a
special kernel with different options then the one, which is currently
shipped with d-i.

It would, for example, a good idea to support serial console mode. Or
are you one of the people, which plugin a graphic cards, because IBM
doesn't sell the ibm3151 terminals anymore? :)

Please, send us your experiences. It would be cool, if sarge supports
the IBM RS/6k machines out of the box. (And I need to setup a B50 next
week in my company)

Bye
Thorsten

--