Re: di & IBM CHRP

> Having the installer root on NFS should be possible in theory. AFAIK no
> one has tested it yet. So you may be better off using a normal initrd.
> Is it possible to load an initrd with your bootloader or do have to
> compile the initrd into the kernel?

I tested it over 6 months ago on a 44P-170 POWER3 box. Launching di via NFS
worked fine. However, the particular di I was testing only supported the
CD-ROM install; thus, I did not get any further.

To me either way is fine. I just wanted to see if it was possible. It is
easier logistically, though. The initrd image and the kernel can be updated
independently, since the initrd does not have to be compiled into the
kernel.

0> boot net:server_ip,,client_ip console=ttyS0,9600n8 root=/dev/nfs
   nfsroot=server_ip:/path ip=client_ip:server_ip

- or in my case -

0> boot net:9.3.52.93,,9.3.52.85 console=ttyS0,9600n8 root=/dev/nfs
   nfsroot=9.3.52.93:/export/debian/root_fs ip=9.3.52.85:9.3.52.93

See boot prompt HOWTO:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

Rolf

--