Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:48:28AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:31:55PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am searching for testers for the new 2.4.22-2 serie of kernel packages
> > before uploading them to the archive, and potentially breaking lot of
> > stuff.
> >
> > They can be found at :
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.4.22
> >
> > And i would like for two kind of tests :
> >
> >   1) please people using the different subarches, install the
> >   kernel-images, and try booting them. Carefull, they are no more called
> >   vmlinux-2.4.22-powerpc, but vmlinu[xz]-2.4.22-powerpc-(pmac|chrp|chrp-rs6k|prep).
>
> Thanks, Sven. I gzipped vmlinus-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac, and it
> is 1675729 in size, thus cannot fit on a 1.44 floppy. Is there

Yep, i feared thus, i will maybe make a new configuration run, but this
would mean that the modules udeb are not compatible. Maybe removing more
stuff from the kernel and putting it in a initrd as modules would be a
solution, i hear there is lot of place on the debian-installer image,
but this may only be on x86, not sure thus.

> anything that can be removed which would allow it to fit on
> a floppy for oldworld booting?

Maybe but i don't know. Could you look at the powerpc configuration
file, and tell me what i can remove. I guess USB and Firewire are not
usefull for oldworld boxes.

That said, i am not happy about it, because this will need 1h30 more
compilation time on my box :((

Friendly,

Sven Luther