Re: libdebian-installer - introduced changes

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:52:28PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > functions with changes prototypes:
> > - di_logf -> di_log (di_log_level_flags log_level, const char *format, ...)
> >   reason: add the log level for different handling of differen log entries
>
> Eh, there already was a function di_log(), so both this and di_logf()
> should be listed here.  I believe this is the functions used by most
> packages depending on libd-i, and that we should avoid changing the
> prototype on this function to avoid having to rewrite the source of
> all these packages.  I propose a rename to di_logmsg() and
> di_vlogmsg() instead, and keeping the old functions as wrappers for
> the new functions.

di_log and di_logf prototypes was source compatible.

the decision is, change 5 packages in the one direction or 5 in the
other.

> > - di_pkg_parse ->
> >   di_packages *di_packages_read_file (const char *file, di_packages_allocator *)#
>
> Eh, is the function called di_pkg_parse() or di_packages_read_file()?
> This seem to be rename, not a changed prototype.

it is both

> > - di_status_read
> >   di_packages *di_packages_status_read_file (const char *file, di_packages_allocator *)#
> > - di_pkg_toposort_arr, di_pkg_toposort_list ->
> >   di_slist *di_packages_resolve_dependencies (di_packages *, di_slist *,
> >   di_packages_allocator *)
>
> The same with these.  I would really like functions to be renamed when
> their prototype is changed.
>
> > removed_function:
> > - di_stristr
>
> Why is this removed?  Is it used by any package?

no, it was only used by the old parsers.

> > - di_check_dir
> >   only used by kbd-chooser for subarch detection stuff which needs to be
> >   done in a more general way anyway
> > - di_execlog
> > - di_pkg_is_virtual, di_pkg_is_installed
> >   obseleted by using a hash and make this info available in each struct
>
> Why do we need to remove these?

di_pkg_is_virtual(p) is the same than
p->type == di_package_type_virtual_package
di_pkg_is_installed(p) is the same than
p->status == di_package_status_installed

also they are only used in anna/main-menu which needs major changes
anyway.

> Could you make a document in d-i/doc/ describing the changes we need
> to do to the packages using libd-i?  It should also list all the
> packages depending on libd-i, and attach a name to each of the
> packages listing who will update the source of that package.  I want
> this libd-i transition done by Sunday, so we need to move fast. :)

i already sent that list to debian-boot.

bastian

--
... bacteriological warfare ... hard to believe we were once foolish
enough to play around with that.