Re: d-i and the archive

Sebastian Ley wrote:
> on debcamp we had a discussion about how we are ensuring proper
> testing versions of debian-installer. The main problem was the build
> process of the images. If we had a package in the archive that builds
> the installer, which files should it create?
>
> I propose the following:
>
> Make a package build-di that just contains the /build dir and unpacks
> it into /usr/src. Introduce a build option which tells which
> determines if udebs should be fetched from stable, testing or
> unstable. Update the testing scripts, so that they can handle udebs.
>
> Then we will have unstable images and testing images by just
> downloading build-di from testing or unstable, setting the above
> mentioned build option to the apropriate suite and build the images in
> /usr/src. We can do this to provide official images or daily-builds,
> and everyone else to make his own, probably customized images.

What's the advantage of a -src package instead of a source package?
Aside from that and from agreeing with Gaudenz that this may be a more
medium-term solution, I agree that your idea is reasonable. However,
this doesn't address autobuilding or getting boot images into the
archive.

> - Fix the configuration. All user-configurable options should be moved
>   to build/config. That includes pkg-lists and a mirror selction
>   option.

I think there are plans affoot to make mirror selection happen based on
/etc/apt/sources.list, so it is more automatic.

--
see shy jo