Re: new installer

Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 20:29:22 -0400, Dan Weber a écrit:
> Ok thanks.  That was useful.  With no possible way of kickstarting a cd can
> be a bad thing.  What about an ultra stripped kernel for 2.4 or 2.6 that
> fits on a boot floppy.  Then having it search for other boot disks and then
> we can have the modules loaded how debian-installer currently has it so you
> have support for all the nic drivers etc you could need.  I do think that if
> possible, starting up the machine with the ultra stripped kernel that has
> multi fs support, could allow you to have it read from cdrom (/dev/hdc for
> ex.) using iso9660 format and grabbing the initrd from another disk only
> making it two bootdisks.  So a command line example would be.

i understand the modular aspect, but i don't see how that would work (i
don't know much about how the boot sequence actually works in the new
installer, and what the mechanics are for the installer module loading
is (i read up on it a long time ago, and i've forgotten most of it, and
it has probably changed since)).

how do you tell the kernel to stop and ask for a new floppy? it'll panic
from not having the initrd loaded, AFAICT. unless you have the initrd in
the ramdisk itself. but that comes later, and it would still panic
anyway.

> Boot: kernel root=/dev/hdc initrd=/dev/fd0
>
> That would force it to load the kernel then ask for the other disk with
> initrd to get the thing running.  Issues with initrd is size.  Im concerned
> you won't be able to fit an initrd on a 1.44 mb floppy which would cause
> issues.  However if we get it to fit on cd, this plan will work great.

i don't think so. from my info, you can't boot linux on oldworlds from
CD (although i still don't know why you couldn't with a lot of good
hacking and research). the ideas seems tempting though. it could work
(now that i understand what you mean ;).

> Dan Weber

(i'll be subbing to the list shortly)

--
| http://www.nuit.ca/             | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/      |