From: simon raven [mailto:simon@nuit.ca]
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 8:13 PM
To: dan
Cc: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: new installer

Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 19:45:37 -0400, dan a écrit:
> Ok I think I see the overall picture now. Basically 2.2 and the old
> bf24 are the only kernels small enough to fit on a floppy.  Booting
> from cds is not an option because that requires a proprietary
> bootloader.  Are the following situations possible.  Boot from floppy
> -> Quik -> use quik to start up Cdrom, or boot from floppy -> yaboot2
> -> use yaboot2 to kickstart cd.
>
> Dan Weber

here's a basic boot sequence on my box:
OF loads quik -> quik loads kernel (and initrd) -> system boots

this is done from boot drive. in my case it's /dev/sda2 &&
/bandit/gc/mesh/sd@0:0 is my boot-device in OF.

old installer did:

boot from HFS floppy & root.bin (which has a cramfs ramdisk in it) ||
	kernel on a mockos partition & ramdisk.image.gz

now, excluding mockos booting (for various good reasons), the possibilities
are:

boot from floppy, using the old 2.2.x kernel -> ramdisk -> do install with
2.4.x kernel (i.e., boot from a 2.2.x kernel, but install a 2.4.x one). this
would be easy for a netinst. kludgy, but it works.

i don't see how you could use yaboot2 to 'kick start' the cd boot. unless
you formatted the CD in such a way where (probably what's going on now in
the current woody CD, i don't know) you have an HFS(+) partition, with the
contents of the woody boot floppy in it. but then you break newworld AFAIK.
current woody newworld boot is it has an Apple_Bootstrap partition, and has
yaboot and yaboot.conf in it IIRC.

one thing to note is that oldworlds booting yaboot2 will need an
Apple_Bootstrap partition, just like current newworlds do. that would make
things easier, but i'm 90% sure those won't boot from CD, for various
reasons, so you're still stuck with a floppy boot.

i'd suggest reverse engineering the mockos CD boot, and re-write the FCode
script so it'S (DFSG-)free. there are people that can do that BTW. you need
to be able to talk to the h/w ROM (BTW, for those that don't know, what the
distinguishing thing is about 'OldWorld' and 'NewWorld' is that the ROM is
encoded on a ROM chip in the oldworlds, and the new one has basic ROM, but
most of it is in RAM. or something =). the OW ROMS are like 4 MB, and the NW
are like 1-2 MB in size). well, i'm just ranting here now, but we need to
look at what we can do, and what we can't do. and see if we can turn the
'can't do' into a 'can do', while keeping it Free as in Speech. i'm aware of
the time constraints..

bootloader can be yaboot2 or quik, i'd prefer yaboot2, but unless the devel
gets help with it, that isn't going to happen. the bootloader doesn't matter
since a 2.4.x kernel won't fit on a floppy. and if you did make it fit, it
would be very minimal, and not good enough for an install kernel. so that's
why boot with a 2.2.x, but install a 2.4.x one.

am i talking outta my ass, or do i have something useful here..