Re: new installer

Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:54:40 +0200, Thorsten Sauter a écrit:
> * simon raven <simon@nuit.ca> [2003-09-27 15:31]:
> | that OldWorld PPC sub-arch will not be supported directly in the new
> | installer.
>
> maybe you can tell us, what is needed to support oldworld machines
> instead of writing such emails.

keep the functionality that is found in the current installer. is that
so hard? i'm not aware of exactly what you have done to remove the
functionality of booting both old and newworlds, but you must've left
something out of d-i to not have it possible to do so.

> We are working to support must PowerPC machines, but no one of us has
> such an oldworld machine.

so you get one. i'm sure that a least some of you have good paying jobs,
it wouldn't have been to diffcult for you to do so. or you get someone
that does have one. it's not like it was widely known that there were
issues with installing on oldworld machines... like it's the first time
i've heard of this. i'm not going to sub to all the debian lists just so
i can keep up with everything. i have other things to do than read email
all day.

> For systems which doesn't support devfs there is a devfs wrapper, which
> handle such archs.

uh, it'S not the arch, it would depends on the kernel version, as you
are very much aware of. even nubus macs can run a 2.4.x kernel. don't
give me that.

> | go ahead and ban my IP or SMTPd, i'm seriously thinking of moving to a
> | *BSD now, and i'll make sure that anyone and everyone i know that uses
> | oldworlds *DON'T* use debian sarge stable. and maybe even not debian,
> | for making such IMO, dumb decisions.
>
> feel free to do this :-)

i will, if this doesn't get resolved.

PS: i'm not subbed to the list, please CC: me.

--
| http://www.nuit.ca/             | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/      |