Re: Boot failure after install (continuous 01 01 01...)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:21:38PM +0200, Ferry van Genderen wrote:
> I have just installed Debian from the 3.0 Woody cd iso that I have
> downloaded. After the kernel (2.4) is installed, the installer allows me to
> reboot. I then see the regular bios messages, and then the screen keeps
> filling with 01 01 01 01 01 01 etc, it just keeps echo'ing these chars
> until eternity.. (well , maybe not that long, but I didn't want to check
> :-).
>
> My system details:
> PIII-450/256Mb
> Adaptec 2940 SCSI-U2W
> 9Gb SCSI Quantum Atlas IV harddisk
> Plextor 40x SCSI CD-ROM
> Plextor 8X SCSI CD-Writer
> Hitachi 80Gb IDE harddisk (but set into 32Gb compatibility mode, otherwise
> the bios can't handle it)
>
> With the Debian installer, I partitioned the Hitachi harddisk into a 4Gb
> Linux bootable partition, a 512 Linux swap partition, and two Linux
> partions to fill the rest.
> The SCSI hardisk contains one 9Gb NTFS partition with WinXP installed.
>
> The installer can install from the scsi cd-rom, and it's partition program
> can see the scsi hardisk and correctly identified the partition as NTFS, so
> I guess scsi isn't the cause of the problem.
> The installer also detected the bootable partition on the scsi disk and
> asked me if I wanted to include it into the boot-menu, which I wanted so I
> told it to go ahead.
>
> After the reboot, the system boots normally when I setup the bios into
> SCSI->IDE boot order, but when I change the boot order to IDE->SCSI, the
> system 'hangs' and keeps printing '01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01', it just
> keeps running and running...
>
> I really appreciate any help I can get, I'm sure you all understand I don't
> really want to have to move back to windows...

Please see

 http://www.ipcop.org/1.3.0/en/install/html/LILO-errors.html

In particular, in section B.1.2:

 0x01

  "Illegal command".  This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it
  may indicated an attempt to access a disk which is not supported
  by the BIOS.

Maybe grub will work better?

--
Matt