Boot failure after install (continuous 01 01 01...)

Hello,

I have just installed Debian from the 3.0 Woody cd iso that I have downloaded. After the kernel (2.4) is installed, the installer allows me to reboot. I then see the regular bios messages, and then the screen keeps filling with 01 01 01 01 01 01 etc, it just keeps echo'ing these chars until eternity.. (well , maybe not that long, but I didn't want to check :-).

My system details:
PIII-450/256Mb
Adaptec 2940 SCSI-U2W
9Gb SCSI Quantum Atlas IV harddisk
Plextor 40x SCSI CD-ROM
Plextor 8X SCSI CD-Writer
Hitachi 80Gb IDE harddisk (but set into 32Gb compatibility mode, otherwise the bios can't handle it)

With the Debian installer, I partitioned the Hitachi harddisk into a 4Gb Linux bootable partition, a 512 Linux swap partition, and two Linux partions to fill the rest.
The SCSI hardisk contains one 9Gb NTFS partition with WinXP installed.

The installer can install from the scsi cd-rom, and it's partition program can see the scsi hardisk and correctly identified the partition as NTFS, so I guess scsi isn't the cause of the problem. The installer also detected the bootable partition on the scsi disk and asked me if I wanted to include it into the boot-menu, which I wanted so I told it to go ahead.

After the reboot, the system boots normally when I setup the bios into SCSI->IDE boot order, but when I change the boot order to IDE->SCSI, the system 'hangs' and keeps printing '01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01', it just keeps running and running...

I really appreciate any help I can get, I'm sure you all understand I don't really want to have to move back to windows...

Thank you in advance,

Ferry van Genderen
fgenderen@hotmail.com

MSN Zoeken, voor duidelijke zoekresultaten! http://search.msn.nl