Re: [Fwd: Re: Status for reiser support in d-i]

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:54:40AM +0400, Yury Umanets wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 11:49, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:32:56AM +0400, Yury Umanets wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > What I can say. Reiserfs support in parted is good enough for any linux
> > > installer IMHO.
> > >
> > > It is able to do the following:
> > > (1) reiserfs create.
> > > (2) reiserfs destroy :)
> > > (3) reiserfs resize
> > > (4) reiserfs copy
> > > (5) reiserfs move
> > >
> > > Actually it is based on progsreiserfs (libreiserfs) and it is able to do
> > > much more the operations listed above (journal tuning, relocating, etc),
> > > but parted does not have interface for this yet. It considers supported
> > > filesystems as non-journaling ones.
> >
> > Mmm, interesting. As i am currently doing parted upstream work, i may be
> > willing to look into this nextishly.
> >
> > > I guess debian folks probably do not want to use libparted (and reiserfs
> > > with it) because it is needed to rewrite some parts of installer. Or
> > > reiserfs is not good enough for debian installer.
> >
> > Parted will be needed anyway on some of the debian supported
> > architectures, i plan to use it on powerpc for the pegasos boxes, and
> > probably the apus guys will want to use it already.
>

> > I think there is already a graphical libparted installer which has
> > integration problems,
> what kind of problems?

I don't really know, callback problems from what i hear, and that a
graphical parted does not integrate well with the debconf way of doing
things.

> > but there should be no problem at least to use
> > parted standalone in place of cfdisk.
>
> > But then, parted is less user
> > friendly than cfdisk.
> This is disputable question actually :) Some people like prated much
> more then cfdisk.

Well, sure, but as it will be used for the end user, a cfdisk like
thingy would be better suited.

Friendly,

Sven Luther