Installation of Sarge fails

Hi there,
I'm an newbie with Debian but have read many good
things about that. In the past I've got some
experience with Suse.

I downloaded Sarge Testing Snapshot CD1 on Juli 21,
2003 and tried to install it on my Compaq Evo N800c.
Unfortunately I could not install it, which is as far
as I can tell not a question of specific unsupported
hardware of that notebook.

Here is a short description what I did and what Sarge
replied to me:

1) Booting from CD: ok;First menue with five items
comes up
2) Setting priority of questions to high: ok
3) Language is German: ok
plip-modules-2.4.20-1-ulib: ok
5) Net Interface not detected: Could not find NIC: ??
6) Main menue with over 30 items comes up: ok
7) Load Installer Modules selected, loading ethdetect:
ok
8) Selecting Detect Network Hardware, e100: ok
9) Configure static network: ok
10 Choose mirror and typing in http address, no proxy,
sarge
BTW: I was sitting in the garden and disconnected from
all networks because I simply wanted to install Debian
from CD...
11)Partitioning: ok
12)Configure and mounting: For testing purpose I just
mounted a root and a swap partition: ok
13)Install the base system:

The reply was:
P: 0 100 Downloading release file
I: Retrieving http:///debian...
E: Failed getting release file....

Installation to target failed

debootstrap.err.log and debootstrap.log are both empty

When switching to the console, it seems that
everything is ok and mounted (Sarge CD on /cdrom; / on
target)and ready for installation of the base system
and kernel. But remember: I was disconnected and could
not find the switch which tells debootstrap to install
from CD and not to look for any files in the net.

Any suggestions?

Today I saw a small comment at debian.org that Sarge
is currently not installable from CD;
Is that really true? I didn't recognized that when I
downloaded my snapshot.

Regards
Volker

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de