Re: booting 2.4 kernel on old PC

[ Crossposting thread started with
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200308/msg01562.html
  It has been suggested in private mail to me I should try on debian-boot.]

Hi,

> > + insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.18-568tsc/modules.dep
> Have you done update-modules and depmod -a ?

Makes no difference. Note this is during the hardware detection and
configuration phase, before mounting the proper root file system.  I
think the message is a red herring and due to the cramfs of the
initial ramdisk not supporting proper timestamps.  (I guess Knoppix
just suppresses the messages.)

I have also tried taking lots of hardware out, leaving only the MB and
one IDE device: either the first hard disk (booting Woody) or the
CD-writer (booting Knoppix).  The booting always gets stuck at the
same point.

Would it be possible that the 2.4 kernel has dropped support for a
chipset that worked in in the 2.2 kernel?  Should I file a bug report?

Cheers,
Marco

PS: The non-super socket is of course Socket 7, not 370.