Re: ITP shell-parted and debconf-partitioner

#include <hallo.h>
* Thorsten Sauter [Thu, Jul 31 2003, 10:50:12PM]:

> | It would perhaps be a good idea to integrate partitioner and
> | partconf, if this succeeds...
>
> I'm not sure, that this is the best solution.
> If you would like to merge both programs, then we also need support for
> lvm and raid in this program. And this makes the whole d-i concept
> useless. After the merge you can't simply extend the d-i with new

The whole d-i concept is useless when it comes to extensions that are
outside of the default mkfs-install-bootconfig path. Whatever we will
use, an "advanced" partitioner will be much more complicated than the
simple question-repsonse scheme of debconf. I suggest keeping the
default tools for text mode (cfdisk or shell with fdisk, lvm-tools,
mdadm, evms-utils) and a nice partitioner for GUI mode only. Of course
when some volumes are already prepared on the target system, we can use
usual methods to autodetect them (mdrun, ?lvmstart?, evms by default)
and make them useable for partconf, but every other development in TUI
mode is IMO just not feasible, given the short time period for the Sarge
release.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
Verheiratete Männer leben länger als unverheiratete, aber sie sind
viel eher bereit zu sterben.