chroot instal failure

Hi,
I have a new Gigabyte K7 Triton motherboard with a 700 mhz amd Duron CPU
and 120 GB master and 40 GB slave Western Digital HDs.  I've been trying to
instal Debian on this system, but when I try to instal the base system from
both the net and the cd I get this error message:
failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-depends --install
/var/cache/apt/archives/debconf_1.0_32_all.deb

and then:
something like
debootstrap failure return =1

If you need any more information please let me know.  I'm not sure why the
instal fails at this point.  Thank you,
Angela
Eads, TN

http://mail2web.com/ .