Re: Have Linux boot with eye-candy

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Most distros these days don't show the boot messages scroll by in text
> mode but have a frame buffer with some nice logos and graphics.  Below
> is some information from our kernel maintainer on this.  I'm looking
> for a volunteer who'd check how SuSE/Red Hat et al. do it and comes up
> with something for Debian.  For more information, see below.

If you simply point the console at (say) /dev/tty2 then the kernel boot
messages never appear. You can then load the framebuffer driver and splash
a nice pretty picture on it with fbview, for instance. However, I'm
pretty sure that the VESA framebuffer can't be made modular if you want it
to work, so you either need it statically built in or you need to use the
16 colour VGA one.

Doing it this way means that you get a black screen for a short period of
time, possibly with a penguin in the corner, and then the splash screen
shows up. A debug mode that doesn't pass console= to the kernel and
doesn't load the splash screen ought to be enough for diagnostic purposes.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-linux.debian.maint.boot@srcf.ucam.org
I am currently angry about: