Re: Why should prebaseconfig depend on created-fstab?

mån 2003-07-21 klockan 15.16 skrev Ole-Egil Hvitmyren:
> And prep and a few others don't use a filesystem on the boot partition,
> so same applies here. There's no reference to the boot partition in fstab.
> But still, /etc/fstab never hurt anyone, so I fail to see how
> bootable-system depending on created-fstab is bad?

bootable-system is a virtual package provided by boot loader installers
(I don't know how it works for archs without boot loaders though).

I see no problem whatsoever with debootstrap depending on created-fstab
to make sure that it actually has been configured before reboot. Some
boot loaders need /target/etc/fstab, they should depend on
created-fstab. Others do not, they should not depend on created-fstab.

It really is that simple. :-)

However, a much bigger problem is the following:
* User partitions his hard drive, creates some file system and mounts
them on /target/...
* User installs base, and a boot loader that requires /target/etc/fstab
(at this point, the virtual package created-fstab will be configured, or
rather, the package that provides it)
* User realizes he actually wants to have /target/home on a separate
partition and arranges that. No problemo, base-installer,
kernel-installer and friends don't touch /target/home, so this is clean.
* User reboots, but /home is not mounted, because /target/etc/fstab has
not been regenerated.

This, in my opinion, is a general design problem in d-i. How do we fix
it? Of course we can hack around it by *always* regenerating fstab in
prebaseconfig, but what if the user has manually adjusted the fstab?

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren
  martin@strakt.com