Boot hangs at "Serial driver version 4.27" etc.

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian potato from CDs.  The machine boots up to the CD
okay, but after the kernel loads, the system hangs partway through boot.

Everything goes fine until I get the following message:

"Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled"

at which point the machine hangs.  Ctrl-Alt-Del and the reset button do
nothing; I have to physically power cycle the box.

It's a built-from-scratch system with a brand-new motherboard, plus the usual
(two HDs, a CD-ROM, a CD-RW, floppy, video and network cards).

Anyone have a clue what's going on?  Thanks,

Katherine