Re: Netinst ISO: NIC driver module and other problems

Hi...
On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:16 am, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Hm.  I am the maintainer of the module loading for ethernet cards.  I
> have no idea why 'depmod -a' do not include the correct information in
> module.dep.  Anyone got an idea?

If you are referring to the modules.dep generated in the build process...

Because modules.dep is being generated the wrong way. When generated as in
build/Makefile, it uses symbol data from the _running_ kernel to determine
dependency information for modules. This is quite clearly wrong.

See depmod(8) (might be depmod.modutils(8) if you have module-init-tools
installed), and look at the -F option.

I asked for this to be fixed before but my request was ignored. The correct
behaviour is for modules.dep to be generated in the kernel package (which it
already is for i386, and which it _should_ be for every other architecture).

See my earlier mails on this subject.

=)
Peter