Re: Net image far too big

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 19:32, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:49:42PM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
>
> > Maybe we could still do both.
> > The first floppy acts as it does now (when slimmed).
> > If this doesn't work, eg USB case, then the second acts as an initrd
> > disk.
> >
> > Hmm. Is there a syslinux hacker available? Imagine the following:
> > Boot from first floppy. With priority == high, etc. it does what
> > autodetect it can. Realises it can't find net, USB, (or maybe it can,
> > but realises it hasn't got the right modules). Time to go to the
> > two-disk solution.
> > So it restarts the kernel (hide kernel output behind some nice fb
> > graphics), this time _with_a_different_set_of_cmdline args.
>
> No problem with that, as long as we can still build one large image
> for non-i386 architectures. On several non-i386 systems there is
> no bootloader like syslinux, lilo or grub, but the machine firmware
> itself boots the kernel image via network, so the ramdisk has to be
> statically linked into the kernel image. This means we cannot just
> modify some bootloader arguments on the fly.

Yes. This thread is specifically about the net boot _floppy_.
There is a separate 'netboot' image, specifically for tftpboot
situations, where a larger image (>1.44 MiB) is possible.

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine