Re: net image full

sön 2003-03-30 klockan 11.49 skrev Alastair McKinstry:
> chroot is used in a bunch of code - the lilo, grub code etc install lilo
> on /target then run chroot /target /sbin/lilo
> similarly for a lot of prebaseconfig stuff. It could be removed from the
> initial floppy, however.

Exactly, that'd be in the stage1 udeb (stage0 being everything up until
anna runs, stage1 being the rest of d-i and stage2 being base-config, in
my terminology)

> chroot and telnet are useful for fixing problems with net: eg config
> issues on the server - telnet in (ssh would be better, but too big) and
> solve them, (eg adding an address to a bootp server), then proceed.

Uh. I really don't see what you would need to fix with telnet on a net
floppy that doesn't require the network to be up...

> telnetd, I can't think of why thats there; was someone planning on doing
> installs remotely via telnetting into the client from the server ???

Sounds extremely far-fetched.

> We should also think of what we need for a _rescue_ environment : chroot
> is useful there to fix lilo, etc.

Point. But when booting from the net floppy, you don't have the
necessary file system kernel modules to mount your other partitions
anyway!

/Martin