Working UTF-8 support with newt frontend?

I believe the newt frontend should be handling UTF-8 characters fairly
well now.  The new rootskel package will turn on UTF-8 support in the
linux console.  This is supposed to work on 2.4 kernels.  My test
displays æøå, but I am not sure if it will display characters outside
ISO-8859-1.  Can anyone test this?  I'm not sure which langauge uses
non-latin1 charactesr, so I do not know which langauge to choose to
test this.  We also need to test if it work for asian characters.

The borders are broken.  Instead of the nice lines it used to display,
it shows other strange characters.  No idea why.

This might work with the other frontends as well.  I haven't tested.

(This was mostly written for Tollef to include it in his
status report :)